Essay

                                                                                                                                                     Garcia 1


Vivian Garcia
Dr.Preston
English 3



 
 Through out the whole year we were trusted and and were given the opportunity on basically choosing on the way we want to learn and how we wanted to learn. While sitting back quiet sometimes I have noticed that some people are not taking advantage of the style of learning that was introduced to us in the beginning of the year. It seemed the first day of school when we were asked the question do you want to learn by the book or learn in a whole new different way if your up for it and being able to choose how to be taught was so astonishing I don’t think that in all of the years that I have been in school have gotten the opportunity to have. So now that the school year is almost to its end the students in my class are still dumbfounded still even though we have been in the class all year. This is a whole new experience that I believe that our brains can’t comprehend that well still. This class is whole new experience that its hard to get out of still being taught like we are still in a” normal classroom” and getting out that idea sense that is how we were taught since kindergarten and being told this is the correct way and the only way that we are being taught. So when being asked if me and my classmates deserves this opportunity to be in this class and be taught in a different way than what we are used to I would say yes. I believe everyone should have the chance to get out of the boring class and being taught from the book which was the traditional way of learning. By learning with open source you can be taught not only different but its more challenging especially in your brain trying to adjust to the new learning style. Everyone in the class does deserve to be n the class they earned it. IT just take more time being in this class is kind like being back in Kindergarten you have start from the beginning and start new and that takes time to adjust to. For instance when we are asked questions in class no one has a single question due to the fact not know what to ask and usually some students don’t ant to ask the wrong thing and the regret why they asked or be judged in the question that was asked. Which requires a lot of trust on not only your self but others as well as the teacher.


 This school year in English we have read a few stories like Fahrenheit 451. And the Great Gatsby the rest were short stories. As we read I have not connected to any of the characters of any of the stories that were read and I didn’t find any connection to them. If I had to choose I Don't think I could all of the characters have problems. I know that everyone has problems but I just don't think that I'm one of those people that have the type of problems as most of the characters that are on most of the stories.

 Being in this class this year I have reconnected with the love I had for English which  I slowly started to hate as I grew older for some reason but I have no clue to what but this year I think that I have improved in writing ad sometimes I just cant stop writing that I just want to writ for hours or I just have so many ideas pop into my head that I have to write it done even if it might nit make sense . Previous years I have always struggled on what to write and how to write it but this year not so much. This year was like there was switch maybe it was because of the new way I am learning that's it made it easier to comprehend. I tend to continue writing and maybe exceeding on my writing if that is possible. I plan on taking the expository reading and writing for my cases for next year for english.

    Through the whole school we read a little and I didn’t really have some of the stories and some of the books we read and I didn't find some of the things so funny I did think that some of the stories were good . But there were sometimes were I couldn't comprehend what the story was saying and what it was about but understood the ending of some of the stories which I found really profoundly weird. Most of the stories we read were The Great Gatsby and  Fahrenheit 451 the rest were story stories. I really enjoyed reading young goodman brown. I have always loved reading mysterious and stories that were about the future. There have been some story genres that I would of never thought were a interesting genre to read but were. But there was a time in the class thought was really funny and it was when we had to bring food to class and we were talking and INE of the students was acting differently and he mentioned that he was off of his meds and  was acting totally not him self but was saying funny things.



The Master Piece Academy Presentations were given on topics chosen by the students and they had to give a presentation on the topic and explain it so everyone could better understand and you learn about the topic yourself that you have chosen. Satchel was the one that first started off and his big question was How could we upgrade education like this Course? He had a lot of every good ideas and he presented without using a slide or anything he just presented like as if he was talking to us and he even gave  riddle and had everyone work together and try to figure it out little did Satchel know was that someone got the answer before he even finished his riddle. The way he represented was very different from the traditional way that the students present as. He had very good communication skills in his presentation. Satchel and Emily both had a similar topic but she wanted to introduce open source learning to Mexico and Satchel wanted to upgrade our education which I thought was kind of similar. For instance Emily talked about how Dr.Preston first introduced Open source learning in 2009as well as saying that there was a teacher in Mexico need Sergio Juarez that introduced a similar type of learning like open source learning. Everyone that presented presented mostly the same when it come to presenting their topics and Satchel, Adrian, And Elias were the only one that presented with out using slides or anything they just talked freely and just talk they didn't have any notes or anything it seemed like they had really good knowledge on their topics. everyone's topics were very interesting. I do think that everyone had my attention and everyone when they were presenting there topic. But in some of the presentations there was some people that lost the attention of the others in the class only on a few it might be due to the fact that they knew about it or were just rude and not paid attention. The topics that I found interesting were on Global Warming, Thrifting, cops vs. video game cops, and how to be come a tattoo artist.

Everyone agree that dogs are like a mans best friend and they comfort us when we are sad or when we just need someone dogs are always there and they make things better. So I always wondered about dogs if they knew how we felt or why are they such good companions. When I was trying to find information on my topic on If animals react differently depending on our emotions I had to try to get information from other than the internet so I tried to look for mentor. I tried to contact a veterinarian behaviorist Dr. Rachel Malamed and I was not that successful. Then I had to have a meeting with the teacher and had to say what I have done and what I was planning on doing next that day we had a cal poly student in our class and she was able to give me and email of the volunteers at the SLO Humane Society and I would be able to contact them and once I email them I got an email from them back and was able to ask them question that pertained to any questions I had on any animal behavior questions I had on dogs and maybe cats if I had them. I was able to get to answers back from them which was very helpful to my presentation. The challenges that I faces was trying to find information on other animals but I just kept getting information on mainly dogs. I tried so hard in trying to find the information on the other animals but I was a little unsuccessful so most of my presentation pertained to dogs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Montag The killer

Author in progress

We eat social media for breakfast